The Olympics

The Olympics

Text

News, information and stories about the Olympics.

Monday, August 23, 2004

I Won't Give It Back

In a splendid display of temperament, Greek weightlifter Leonidas Sampanis, who failed a drugs test; has stated that he won't give his bronze medal back.



He is reported to have said to Greek TV NET: "I deserve this medal, I won't give it back".



Unfortunately for him, the Greek Olympic Committee have begun procedures to remove his medal; whether or not he gives it back voluntarily.



Sampanis and his coach, Christos Iakovou, testified to an IOC disciplinary panel on Saturday; protesting his innocence.



Invoking God and his children, Sampanis said to reporters afterwards: "I want to declare to the Greek people that I swear to God, to my two little angels, my children, that I never took any such substances.".



To no avail, he was expelled on Sunday.





No comments:

Post a Comment